Adoption Attorneys Serving Charleston, Dorchester & Berkeley Counties
The most enjoyable part of our practice is helping with adoptions of children into loving family environments. Adoption is a great way to create or expand a family, but adoption is legally complicated. For a smooth adoption process, it’s important to work with an attorney who is experienced in adoption law. At Hall & Means, we work with individuals and couples seeking to adopt children of all ages. We are familiar with South Carolina’s adoption laws and we can help you with through the adoption process.
Experienced Legal Guidance Through the Adoption Process
We work with all types of families seeking all types of adoptions. We can provide guidance for:
- Agency Adoptions – Adoptions facilitated by a state-owned (such as DSS) or a privately owned agency.
- Independent (or Private) Adoptions – These are “closed” adoptions that are not facilitated by an adoption agency. We work with agencies who conduct the necessary placement investigations. We have a step by step process to provide a smooth transition from filing the petition to obtaining the decree of adoption.
- Family Adoptions – Adoptions involving a relative of the child including stepparents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings and other relatives.
- Termination of Parental Rights – We handle these matters, which then allows a child to be legally free for adoption.
- Consent/Relinquishment of Parental Rights/Consent to Adoption – We assist birth parents when they choose to give up their parental rights and provide a valid consent through this difficult decision.
- Name Change of Minors – This is something that should also be considered in an adoption proceeding and what the child desires their name to be if age appropriate.